Connecting Social and Commerce
At Vin65 we see a lot of data from transactions, we’ve done a lot of experiments and we’ve seen some interesting results. For example:
- Targeted email works better than mass email,
- Discounted shipping works better than discounted price,
- Add-To-Cart buttons on the wine list page converts more than the Add-To-Cart button on the wine drilldown page.
We’ve focused on analytics, A/B tests, and we look at BI tools to track data and improve tools and while this data is good, we don’t believe this it is good enough.
Social Meets Commerce
Today we are starting a whole new class of experiments are excited about learning a lot in completely different ways. Rather than looking at just the data, we’re going to start experiments with conversations consumers with each other and wineries.
I wish I could say linking a consumer’s social and ecommerce profiles together results in ‘X’ – but we are just in the beginning phase. Let me tell you what I believe and what we experimenting with.
Know More Sell More
Knowing and understanding your consumers and acting on that data is what creates exceptional companies and I believe that the best way to know your customer is to have conversations with them. Knowing the POS and ecommerce data is not enough. Just like peanut butter and jelly, I believe that ecommerce data combined with social data is a perfect match.
Imagine knowing that club members that are Facebook fan last 5 months longer than those who are not fans. Would that change the way you promote you Facebook page and how you use Facebook’s tools? What if you were instantly notified if your that a few people Tweeting you were your top consumers were reaching out on Tweeter. Would you engage them in a conversation?
At Vin65 the primary goal of this blog is education (how to sell the most wine online) for our customers and the wine industry as a whole. We also don’t like to talk about tools we are building. I realize I hijacked it – but I did want to lay out a vision of a few things we see in the future.
One Step Forward
At Vin65 we've partner with VinTank (the leading wine social media management company) and we’ve created a bi-direction integration linking social customers in VinTank with ecommerce customers in Vin65.
Inside VinTank - The next time someone is talking about you, the next time your looking at social conversations, you can see that persons lifetime value, club memberships, Vin65 contact type, etc.
Inside Vin65 - Your can use the list builder to segment on customers social, look at individual customers and see their social profile.
This is going to allow for a lot of great data meshing. I’m sure you, our customer, will drive a lot of what is to come.
I would invite you to watch a video and learn more about our bi-direction integration with Vintank or request a demo.
I’d also love to hear what you would like to see with the meshing of social and ecommerce data. What would help you sell more wine?
There is some science and some art to how profiles are stitched together.
1) There are services out there that will do it for you for a fee;
2) Inside VinTank there is the ability to link people and profiles (fuzzy search shows similar named profiles) - so when you are looking at Andrew Kamphuis it will show you all the similar profiles on different social media outlets.
3) Inside Vin65 CRM you can record Twitter, Facebook, and other handles - if these are record the match becomes easy.
4) If email email@example.com = twitter @andrewkamphuis on one winery you can bet that its probably true for all sites where firstname.lastname@example.org is a customer. So there is learned behavior.
5) There are a few other ways that we intend to test, try and implement soon but it is a big task.